Buying a new home in Texas is a big step, especially if you are a first-time buyer, or you are new to the state. But don’t worry, if you buy the right home in the right location, you won’t regret it! Starting the process of buying a home can be time-consuming and may seem overwhelming. We are ready and excited to help you find and settle into your new home.
Here are the steps to take to make buying a home in Texas a reality for you:
- Make lists. What’s it like living in Texas? What style homes can I find in Texas? Where can I find the perfect home for me? Buying a house can be one of the most important decisions in your life, so don’t be afraid to make lists of everything on your mind. Get your family in on it, too.
- Begin the process early. Start looking at Texas homes now! The sooner you get going, the sooner you and your family will be moving in. We know that you want to find the home of your dreams, so why not start now exploring the styles that will make you and your family happy. A Texas master-planned community can be the perfect place for families to grow in neighborhoods that are wonderful to live in and explore.
- Figure out what you can afford. We know from experience that when you have an affordable mortgage payment, you can focus your attention on the important things in life like your partner and your children, instead of stressing about paying the bills. Homes in master planned communities in Texas can offer an excellent value for the dollar. In addition, your total property tax bill per dollar of home value is likely to be lower in a Texas master planned community than in many Texas cities.
- Research your financing options. There are many ways to finance new homes in Texas with both national and state-wide programs available. The Federal Housing Administration, US Department of Veteran Affairs, and USDA are all national programs that can help you find the right loan for you. If you’re a first-time home buyer, the Texas Department of Housing and Community Affairs has special first-time home buyer programs that can offer low interest rates and assistance with down payments and closing costs. Whether you are already living in Texas or buying a home in Texas from out of state, there is sure to be a program and mortgage lender that meets your needs!
- Get pre-approved. This is an exciting part of the process. Once you get pre-approved, this really gets your journey to homeownership moving. The pre-approval process can be as simple as providing your income, the amount in your savings account, credit score, and your investments.
- Find a Realtor. When buying a first home, a realtor is an invaluable asset. A local real estate agent is a partner who cheers for you and your family. A great realtor will work hard to get you moving into that new house as soon as possible.
- Revisit your list. Now that you have a better idea of what you can afford, you can go back to that list you and your family made earlier and see how those dreams can be built into a home. Having fun may not be the first thing that comes to mind when you think of buying a home, but don’t be afraid to be excited about your future.
- Time to make an offer! Once you have that specific home that you know is just right for you and your family, it’s time to make an offer. This step will include specifying how much you are willing to pay for the home, as well as other terms of the sale.
- Get a Home Inspection. A home inspector will check over the house from top to bottom and prepare a report of his or her findings. You don’t want any surprises after you’ve purchased your home.
- Apply for a Loan. If you’ve been pre-approved, this is the second part of the loan application process. If you have not already started the loan application process, start now! As a first time homebuyer make sure to review the title company, interest rate and mortgage payment.
- Close on the home. This is it - just make sure to account for closing cost! This is the moment you get the key to your new house. We know how exciting being part of a planned community in Texas is, and we’re always happy when another family can share this lifestyle as well. The pieces have all fallen into place, and it’s time to enjoy healthy living in a quality home.
Cost of Living in Texas
The median home price in Texas is $310,000, which is almost 10% lower than the national median. The average cost of living in Texas is 8.8% lower than the national average. This means the cost of groceries, health care, and transportation are all much lower than the national average. On top of all of that, there is no income tax!
Benefits of Living in Texas
There are so many wonderful benefits of living in Texas. Our economy is booming, and there are great educational systems here, including both quality public schools and some of the top public and private universities in the country. One of the benefits of a Texas master planned community is that we have strategically planned ways to draw people together and create strong relationships between neighbors. From the layout of the community itself to the shared values and interests, we know you will live healthy and safely in a new Texas home.
If you know what to do, buying a new home in Texas can be an exciting, rewarding experience that will start you on the path to creating a lifetime of happy memories. Once you have an idea of the area you are interested, be sure to check out the unique master-planned communities in Texas. Good luck and get started!