At Hillwood Communities, we set our standards high, so you can be sure the builders in our master-planned communities will get the job done right. We want our homeowners to feel confident that they’re working with builders who hold themselves to the same high standards, no matter which of our master-planned communities you choose.
But you still have to choose just one builder to work with. So, how do you go about choosing a builder to build your home?
How to Choose a Home Builder
Which builder you choose will depend on your needs and preferred aesthetic. When choosing a homebuilder for your new home construction, follow these steps.
Get Familiar with the Builders at Your Community
If you’ve already chosen a master-planned community, we’ve already done much of the work for you. Every builder we partner with has proven themselves in terms of craftsmanship and overall quality. To learn more about what they contribute to our communities, check out our list of new home builders.
Each of our neighborhoods has a set of respected builders to choose from, and each one has their own aesthetic and style. To view homes by design, go to the New Homes section of your favorite Hillwood Communities website. Many of our websites offer an option to browse home styles by builder and design. This option is called “Build My Home.”
Meet the Builders’ Representatives
If you find a few home designs you like, you’ll develop a short list of builders. At this point, you may want to meet these builders’ representatives. From there, you can start to determine how well they’ll meet your needs. If you’re going to work with a realtor, include them from the very first meeting. If you’re not sure if you want to include a realtor, our blog has more information on that.
All of Hillwood’s builders can be reached by phone, email, or appointment. They’ll answer your questions and help you take the next steps towards building your new home.
Questions to Ask a Home Builder
When you meet with the builder’s representative, you will want to ask plenty of questions. Some good questions to ask a new home builder include:
- How long have you been in business?
- Can you give references of recent buyers?
- Are there any major development plans in the works for this area?
- Do you have a financing plan?
- What’s included in the cost and will there be any additional fees?
- Does your agreement have any restrictive covenants?
- What will my taxes be?
- What are the common challenges that might arise during the homebuilding process?
- Does your price include landscaping?
- What floor plan options do we have?
- Can any rooms be left unfinished?
- Can any appliances be upgraded or downgraded?
- How much leeway is there with standard features?
- Do you offer a warranty program?
- How long does it take to build a home?
Not only will you get important information, but you’ll also get a sense for what it would be like working with them, which is always important when choosing a homebuilder.
View Model Homes
In addition to asking questions about the builders themselves, visit a model home. You can inspect the home up close and you may think of additional questions when you see it in person.
If physically visiting a property isn’t possible for you at this time, view pictures of the builder’s homes online. You can view available home inventory in your selected Hillwood community, take a virtual tour, and peruse photo galleries to get familiar with the builder’s work.
Talk to Other Homeowners
The experiences of other homeowners are always valuable when you’re selecting a homebuilder. Ask if you can talk to some other recent homebuyers. Past customers can help you get a more complete sense of what it will be like working with the builder.
After Choosing a Builder, What’s Next?
Once you choose a new home builder, you’ll work with them to choose a design and layout options. Each of our builders has various options to choose from, both in terms of exterior features and interior layout. You’ll also have to sign a contract, which can be done in-person, by mail, or electronically.
Are you planning to build a new home? Start your search online with any of Hillwood’s master-planned communities where you can:
- Take a virtual tour of the community as well as individual model homes
- View image galleries and videos
- Download floor plans
- View homes by design, builder, price, and other features
- View available lots, and which homes can be built on them
- Browse new homes, including those currently available and new builds under construction
If you’re ready to build a new home, now is a great time! Choose one of our master-planned communities and get started on the new homebuilding process today.